Give Your Smile an Aesthetic Boost with Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are ultra-thin restorations that are affixed to the front surfaces of the teeth for a dramatically beautiful result. Crafted from medical grade ceramic, porcelain veneers can be custom-shaded to match your surrounding teeth. Used to conceal a variety of aesthetic imperfections, veneers can be placed as a standalone procedure, or they can be combined with other treatments. At Walnut Pond Dental in Annandale, NJ, Drs. Victoria Uryniak and Carson Ferris-Zeolla have years of experience placing porcelain veneers so our patients can achieve the look they long for.
Who is a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
The only way to know for sure if you are a candidate for porcelain veneers is to have a consultation with one of our doctors. During a complete assessment, your teeth, gums, and surrounding tissues will be examined. X-rays or scans may also be taken to check for decay and to evaluate the condition of the surrounding bone.
To qualify for veneers – or any cosmetic treatment – you must be free of tooth decay and gum disease. It is also important to make sure you do not have any issues with your bite that could affect the long-term success of your veneers.
Porcelain veneers can address a wide range of cosmetic flaws. If you notice any of these characteristics in your smile, you could be an excellent candidate for veneers:
- Chipped Teeth: Veneers can restore a tooth’s natural shape and size, masking minor chips.
- Cracks or Fractures: If a fracture does not extend deep into the tooth structure, a veneer can be used to repair it.
- Misshapen Teeth: If a tooth is too short or too narrow, a veneer can restore the tooth to its original size and provide a symmetrical appearance.
- Tooth Discoloration: Porcelain veneers are an effective way to conceal intrinsic staining that cannot be addressed with professional teeth whitening.
- Gaps between the Teeth: Spacing between the teeth can be reduced or eliminated by placing veneers.
- Slightly Crooked Teeth: If a tooth is slightly out of alignment, a veneer can conceal the tooth, making it appear flush with the adjacent teeth.
Benefits of Veneers
Porcelain veneers offer notable advantages when compared to alternative cosmetic treatments. Porcelain veneers are:
- Natural-Looking: The advanced materials available in dentistry today produce an incredibly lifelike appearance. Porcelain is slightly transparent, and reflects light in the same fashion that natural tooth enamel does. Veneers and natural teeth are virtually indistinguishable.
- Stain-Resistant: Unlike natural teeth, veneers are not susceptible to stains. When addressing discoloration, professional teeth whitening can achieve dramatic results, but patients must undergo touch-up procedures to maintain a bright, dazzling smile.
- Durable: When compared to composite resin, porcelain veneers are much stronger and resilient.
Receiving Porcelain Veneers: Your Treatment Process
Porcelain veneers can typically be completed in two dental visits. During the first visit, small amounts of enamel will be removed in order to prepare your teeth for veneers. After this is complete, impressions will be taken of your teeth and sent to our trusted dental lab. While the lab is crafting your new restorations, temporary veneers may be placed to protect your teeth in the meantime.
At the second visit after the temporaries are removed, a solution will be applied to your teeth to prepare them for bonding. Then your teeth will be thoroughly rinsed and dried. Finally, the veneers will be bonded into place using a special dental cement. Carefully checking your bite, your doctor will perform any necessary adjustments. The result is a dazzling and brilliant smile that others will be sure to notice.
Schedule a Consultation with Us Today
If you would like to enhance your smile, schedule an appointment with one of our doctors and find out if porcelain veneers are an option for you. Contact us online or call our office at (908) 200-7007.