Repair Decayed or Damaged Teeth with Dental Crowns
When a tooth is damaged by a cavity or fracture too large for a filling, a dental crown can provide reinforcement and stability. At Walnut Pond Dental in Annandale, NJ, Drs. Carson Ferris-Zeolla and Victoria Uryniak can place dental crowns to restore the health, function, and aesthetics of your smile. For nearly two decades, our team of professionals has been providing advanced dental care in a comfortable and friendly environment. For the convenience of our patients, our doctors place both traditional and implant-supported crowns.
What Are dental crowns?
Custom-crafted to fit your smile, dental crowns are tooth-shaped restorations that protect and strengthen damaged teeth. They are also used in a number of cosmetic treatments. Crowns can be fabricated from an array of materials, including all porcelain, zirconia, porcelain fused to metal, and metal. The type of material necessary will depend on each patient’s specific situation.
Am I a Candidate For a Dental Crown?
During an initial consultation, our doctors can help you determine whether a crown would be an optimal choice for you. In addition to a visual assessment, x-rays and scans will be taken to evaluate the extent of damage. You may be a candidate for dental crowns if you have:
- Severe tooth discoloration
- Misshapen teeth
- Weak teeth
- Tooth erosion due to bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Decay that is too extensive for a filling, inlay, or onlay
- Recently had root canal therapy and need to protect the tooth
- Cracked or chipped teeth
- A missing tooth that you plan to replace with a dental implant
Benefits of Crowns
Whether you need to repair a broken-down tooth or simply want to give your smile an aesthetic boost, crowns offer numerous advantages. Dental crowns can:
- Conceal cosmetic imperfections, offering a dramatic improvement to your appearance
- Withstand chewing forces
- Alleviate tooth sensitivity
- Improve your function
- Restore your bite
Receiving a Dental Crown
The placement of a dental crown is one of the most common procedures in dentistry. When you receive a crown at Walnut Pond Dental, you can expect these steps the day of your procedure:
- Preparing the Tooth: Before the crown can be placed, the tooth must be slightly reduced to accommodate your new restoration. During this phase, any decay or damaged portions of the tooth structure will be removed.
- Impressions: Molds will be taken of your teeth so your new crown can be fabricated.
- Fabrication: Your impressions will be shipped to our trusted dental lab where an experienced technician will craft your final crown. Typically, this process takes about two weeks. While you wait for your restoration to arrive, you’ll wear a temporary crown to protect your tooth.
- Placement: Once your lab case arrives to our office, we will schedule you for an appointment to have your crown placed. The doctor will carefully try your new restoration in, check the fit, and bond it into place.
- Final Adjustments: Your bite will be checked and adjusted, and any rough edges will be smoothed out.
Patients who choose dental implants as their teeth replacement option can have their implants restored at Walnut Pond. Implants are small posts that replace natural teeth roots, and are surgically inserted into the jawbone. (This procedure will typically be completed by an implant specialist.) Once your dental implant has completely healed, we will attach a connector (abutment) that will extend just beyond the gum line. Your new restoration will be attached to the abutment using dental cement or screw retention.
Schedule a Consultation with Us
To find out if dental crowns are a treatment option for you, schedule an appointment at Walnut Pond Dental in Annandale, NJ. You can call our office at (908) 200-7007 or contact us online anytime.