Everyone deserves a peaceful and restful sleep. If you suffer with sleep apnea, treatment options exist! At Walnut Pond Dental in Annandale, NJ, our dental team specializes in effective treatments for sleep apnea, that will help you achieve quality sleep that leaves you refreshed and invigorated.
If you or a loved one suffers from sleep apnea, contact us today at 908-200-7007 for a consultation and find out how we can help improve your overall quality of life.
What Causes Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a disorder that occurs when the breathing of an individual is restricted. If left untreated, sleep apnea could affect you long-term causing:
- High blood pressure
- The inability to function during activities
- Falling asleep while driving
- Blurred vision
- Chronic headaches
About Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea can leave individuals fatigued, lethargic, despondent, and unfocused. Here are some additional facts about sleep apnea:
- Many people have sleep apnea, but do not know it.
- Many women suffer from sleep apnea after reaching menopause.
- More than 22 million American suffer from sleep apnea.
- Snoring does not always equate to sleep apnea; sleep apnea does not always equate to snoring.
- Sufferers of sleep apnea may awaken for gasps of air up to 30 times an hour, during sleep.
- Approximately 4% of children have sleep apnea.
- There are sleep apnea treatments available that may require lifestyle changes and therapy.
Understanding Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a serious condition that causes breathing to start and stop during sleep. OSA occurs when the muscles in the throat sporadically relax, and subsequently block the airways. While one sign of OSA includes snoring, other symptoms include:
- Daytime sleepiness or drowsiness
- Awakening from sleep, accompanied with choking or gasping for air
- Awakening with a dry mouth and /or sore throat
- Nighttime sweats
- High blood pressure
- Headaches during the morning
- Mood changes
- Irritability and confusion
- Difficulty with concentration
Facts about OSA
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a serious condition that warrants medical attention. Here is some more information about this sleep disorder:
- Data suggests that between 5 and 20 percent of the adult population suffer from OSA.
- Oftentimes, individuals who have OSA do not realize that they have it.
- If left untreated, your chances for developing high blood pressure, stroke, heart attacks, and other ailments, increases.
Treatment Options for Sleep Apnea
At Walnut Pond Dental, we can design a complete sleep apnea treatment regimen for you. Some of the most common treatments for sleep apnea include:
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines
- Custom oral appliances
- Lifestyle changes, such as weight loss
Here are the general steps to sleep apnea treatment at our practice:
- Consultation: During this time, you will sit with our dental professionals. You will have the chance to learn about available treatments, and ask any questions you have.
- Medical History: You will be asked to provide a complete medical history. This will allow for a thorough treatment plan. The more we know, the more effective your treatment.
- Examination: Our medical staff will examine your head, as well as other pertinent areas, pertaining to your sleep apnea. You may also wish to disclose ailments you suffer from, as well as when you suffer from them. For example, if you awaken every morning with a sore throat and a headache, this is important to your diagnoses and treatment. You may even find it beneficial to keep a log of the issues and conditions you have.
- Treatment: We will provide you with a one-of-a-kind treatment regimen, which may include one of our custom mouth guards combined with additional therapies.
Why Choose Walnut Pond Dental for Help with Your Sleep Apnea?
Our staff is experienced, skilled, compassionate, and dedicated. You will never feel rushed or judged in our presence. Having a sound sleep is important to you; therefore, it is important to us. Your treatment will be effective and long-lasting while you are under our care.
Contact Walnut Pond Dental Today
You deserve a restful sleep and we here at Walnut Pond Dental are committed to helping you achieve it. Reach out to us online or call us by dialing 908-200-7007.